Things to Know
Things to Know
268 Meserole Street, Brooklyn NY
Look for “Newtown Radio” painted on the building
Please let us know the night before if you think you’ll be sick, hungover, or otherwise late or unable to make your session. Late-night emails are totally fine! We’re party-people too and totally understand that these things happen, but advance notice allows us to offer that time slot to someone else. Failing to show up means that you’ll be given last priority over other students.
You can go live during your session on Newtown Radio! Tell your friends to tune in at: http://newtownradio.com
We’ve been taking photos for our Instagram to show off everyone who has stopped by to HONE their skills, and connect a community of people passionate about music. It isn’t mandatory if you’re uncomfortable, but we wanted to give you the heads up so you’re not surprised 🙂
We archive every session, so let us know if you’d like a copy of the recording (MP3 format). Recording your practice sessions are a great way to learn, review your progress objectively, and get an idea of what works and what doesn’t. And it’s allows you to start building a Soundcloud to share your work.
COME BACK FOR MORE!
Had a great time after your session? Sign up for another one!
Prepare For Your Session
Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
Allen & Heath Xone:92 Mixer
Bring some music! The most fun way to learn is by playing with music you know and love. (If you forget, we’ll have you covered!) Some tips to get you started:
- Make a playlist or folder of music you like and want to play with (iTunes is a great way to make playlists that can be transferred to USB). Your music should be in MP3, WAV or FLAC file format.
- Grab a USB drive
- Download and install Rekordbox for free on your computer at: https://rekordbox.com
Rekordbox is a program made by Pioneer that allows you to analyze (with BPM and a waveform) and organize your music into playlists, which makes searching tracks much easier and faster on the CDJs. You’ll need to create an account in order to install the app.
- Rekordbox works by creating a “Home” library.The first time you create this library, you’ll want to decide where your music will always live. I recommend using an external drive that is devoted solely to your music that will allow enough space for your music library to grow and not take up space on your personal computer. Don’t move these files! (Or try not to 🙂 ) This will save you a lot of headaches in the future, so you don’t end up with a library full of files marked “Missing”.
- Create a new playlist by clicking the (+) sign next to “Playlists”
- Drag and drop your music into your new playlist. If this is the first time adding music, you’ll see that Rekordbox takes a moment to analyze all your tracks with a waveform, BPM, key, etc.
- Transfer your playlist to the USB by right-clicking the playlist and selecting “Export to [USB Name]”
If you have any trouble with this, feel free to bring your laptop and USB in and we can help you out!